Gifted & Talented Program
The Texas Education Code describes a gifted and talented student as a child or youth who performs at or shows the potential for performing at a remarkably high level of accomplishment when compared to others of the same age, experience or environment and who:
- exhibits high performance capability in an intellectual, creative or artistic area;
- possesses an unusual capacity for leadership; or
- excels in a specific academic field.
The schedule outlining the Gifted & Talented process is posted every year in the Announcements section of the HISD website.
- GT screening of all kindergarten students is done late in the fall semester.
- Screening of all second grade students to determine placement is done early in the spring semester.
- Spring GT nomination window opens early in the spring semester and date is announced for availability of nomination packets in HES | HMS campus offices.
Check out the "Gifted & Talented Program Manual" below for more information: